Most of us have been at the point where we’re anxious about something. When I was a freshman my teacher told me that some anxiety is good for you. But this is ridiculous. I’ve had really bad anxiety ever since I was little. I never understood it until I was in high school though. I was always scared to talk to people… and when I say scared I mean terrified. That’s why I wouldn’t make any friends. My parents thought I was just shy and I’d grow out of it. That never happened.
I get anxiety over EVERYTHING. Storms, too many people, scheduling, waking up and sleeping, eating right, adulting, blogging, being judged, going out in public, talking to strangers, ordering food, doing something wrong, the list goes on and on. A lot of the time I have bad anxiety to where I can’t sleep at night. (This is one of those nights… it’s almost 2 in the morning). I’ve tried a lot of different things to try to get rid of my anxiety, or at least make it better. I think I made a post similar to this a long time ago, but this is an updated version I guess.
1. Turn off the damn phone. Especially if it’s a person I’m talking to that’s stressing me out. Sometimes I like to turn off my phone, go off the grid for awhile and spend some time alone to clear my head.
2. Listen to music. This is one of the biggest ways I calm myself down. I love to turn on Spotify, put some earbuds in, lay in bed and get lost in the bass line of a good song. I could do that for hours on end.
3. Adult coloring books. These work wonders. It makes me focus on something else other than all my problems. It might be a little childish but I don’t care. I do whatever makes me feel better.
4. Walking. Distracting yourself by exercising is a great way to get all that anxiety away from you. We want anxiety as far away from us as possible. So I walk away from all the problems and the anxiety it causes. Listen to music while walking makes it a lot better too. The more distractions, the easier life is.
5. Petting My Cat. At the end of a long day, I love climbing into bed with my little baby and snuggling until I fall asleep.
Those are the 5 main things I do whenever I’m having a day filled with anxiety.